American like Normandy

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Christian hardcore

So you may remember me as that guy with the whack music, where standing outside my dorm room freshman year you debated whether the hardcore blairing from my Sony boombox (gosh I miss that thing...it rocked!) was me or my roomie from Tanzania (a dear fellow, whom I shall not name for lack of permission).

This was the époque in my life where I was just easing myself into the cold swimming pool that was "praise and worship" music...not so much out of religious duty, or my tastes, but rather out of social conformity. I remember my senior year, Sam led an "alternative worship" in the chapel...where we sang Taizé songs harhar.

But hey, maybe all these guys that other people accuse of "consumerizing the Church" are just God marketing himself...

Here is some more alternative worship -- Ancient Faith Radio! Orthodox guys are cooler when they sing in Greek. I remember for BXVI's Inauguration Mass the Orthodox guys sang the Word in Greek and that was the coolest thing ever.

I harken back to December, where at Rupt we were going to sing the Apostle's Creed in Latin, and dumbly thinking it was going to sound like my ultra-cool Gregorian polyphonies, I was wrong. It sounded like a cross between bunch of old people singing (which it was) and a flock of geese (interpretation mine).

Challenge -- before you listen to another measure of music, sit in silence for about 10 minutes and meditate on something like "Changes ton regard, et crois à la Bonne Nouvelle." "Change your way of seeing things, and believe in the Good News." This goes especially for all you Christians...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home